[CentOS] C7 Backup problem

Tue Aug 9 14:38:13 UTC 2016

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Tue, August 9, 2016 1:11 am, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Good morning list,
>> I've a question about backup performed with bacula.
>> I manage a DELL server (dedicated on provider) with C7. I use bacula as
>> backup system with volumes on disk. System performs mon-sat incremental
>> backups and Sun full backup at 03.00 AM. I've another pool (named
>> update) where I performs backup before each software update. Storage is
>> on and external disk 2.5' of 1TB.
>>
>> Yesterday, I've applied centos update and I've performed a full backup
>> before apply updates. Job done.
>>
>> After several hours, I got my disk unmounted and disconnected due to
>> disk error (seems that this disk is failing) and was unable to remount
>> disk. Rebooting system, the disk was mounted correctly.
>>
>> This morning I've checked if something happened. Backup performed and
>> disk mounted without errors but I've noticed a strange behaviour.
>>
>> My incremental backup is large as last full backup (performed on
>> sunday). This is the last jobs performed.
>>
>>    76 | backup-fd | 2016-08-07 03:04:44 | B    | F     |  191,040 |
>> 7,975,649,059 | T         |
>> |    77 | backup-fd | 2016-08-08 03:04:57 | B    | I     |       44 |
>> 44,593,988 | T         |
>>

>> |    78 | backup-fd | 2016-08-08 09:52:57 | B    | F     |  191,024 |
>> 7,978,295,072 | T         |
>>

>> |    79 | backup-fd | 2016-08-08 12:10:31 | B    | F     |        0 |
>>           0 | A         |
>>

>> |    80 | backup-fd | 2016-08-09 03:05:03 | B    | I     |  191,024 |
>> 7,978,337,100 | T
>>

>> Job with id 79 was aborted due to disk failure.
>>
>> Why, if I have a job full performed on sunday, on monday I got an incr
>> job with the same size? Seems to be that the last incremental job was
>> performed without considering the last full backup.
<snip of Valery>

I'm using bareos to back up a bunch of PC workstations.

First question: do you have the .conf file set to reuse or not?

My first guess is, if the d/b was corrupted, or it couldn't append to the
incremental, or full, then it would decide the whole thing was new, and
"incremental" would be a full b/u.

      mark, who's just finished working with his manager on a decent nightly
              b/u report for bareos