[CentOS] XRDB not in our centos6.8 build

Wed Aug 10 21:37:42 UTC 2016
Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole at gmail.com>

On 2016-08-10, Dan Hyatt
<dhyatt at dsgmail.wustl.edu> wrote:

> I am a bit baffled on this.
>
> We recently rebuilt all our servers to CentOS release 6.8 (Final)
> from a prior 6.x centos release.  We ran into a couple of problems
> such as Java not working (just had to yum install java). It was
> installed, but unable to create a java machine, until I yum install
> java solved the problem.
>
> But now a user (the big boss) is receiving xrdp errors. And it appears
> that xrdp is not installed on these newly built servers.
>
> I googled xrdp and was unable to decipher if it is needed in our
> environment (we use sas which does use X11 graphics on the servers to
> export graphs).
>
> If it is needed, wondering why it not included in the groups we have
> always used for kickstart.
>
> When would I need xrdp? or is it one of the leftovers here from a
> bygone era?
>

> Thanks for your response.

The package description (yum info xrdp): "The goal of this project is to
provide a fully functional Linux terminal server, capable of accepting
connections from rdesktop and Microsoft's own terminal server / remote
desktop clients." If you connect to the server(s) using Windows clients,
then it's likely that you need this package.

I notice that xrdp is in the EPEL repository rather than the standard
CentOS repositories. That might explain why it is not installed via
kickstart.

--

Liam