[CentOS] script to make webpage snapshot

Thu Aug 11 22:13:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, August 11, 2016 4:13 pm, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2016-08-11, Valeri Galtsev
> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>> Dear Experts,
>>
>> Could someone recommend a script or utility one can run from command
>> line on Linux or UNIX machine to make a snapshot of webpage?
>>
>> We have a signage (xibo) and whoever creates/changes content, likes to
>> add URLs of some webpages there. All works well if these are webpages
>> on our servers (which are pretty fast), but some external servers
>> often take time to respond and take time to assemble the page, in
>> addition these servers sometimes get really busy, and when response is
>> longer than time devoted for that content in signage window, this
>> window hangs forever with blank white field until you restart client.
>> Trivial workaround: just to get snapshot (as, say daily cron job), and
>> point signage client to that snapshot definitely will solve it, and
>> simultaneously we will stop bugging other people servers often without
>> much need for it.
>>
>> But when I tried to search for some utility or script that makes
>> webpage snapshot, I discovered that my ability to search degraded
>> somehow...
>>
>> Thanks for all your pointers!
>>
>> Valeri
>
> Not an answer to the question you asked, but maybe this is a job for a
> caching proxy server like squid?

Thanks! It didn't occur to me. It will be much more sophisticated than
just an image "snapshot" of the webpage, but should solve our problem. If
I don't find anything doing "snapshot" successfully, this is what I will
do.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator