[CentOS] Canon scanner LiDE 220

Sun Aug 21 11:58:54 UTC 2016
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

#  yum list installed | grep -y sane
ksaneplugin.x86_64              4.10.5-3.el7                  @base
libksane.x86_64                 4.10.5-3.el7                  @anaconda
libksane-devel.x86_64           4.10.5-3.el7                  @anaconda
libsane-hpaio.x86_64            3.13.7-6.el7_2.1              @updates
sane-backends.x86_64            1.0.24-9.el7                  @base
sane-backends-devel.x86_64      1.0.24-9.el7                  @base
sane-backends-doc.noarch        1.0.24-9.el7                  @base
sane-backends-drivers-cameras.x86_64
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.x86_64
sane-backends-libs.x86_64       1.0.24-9.el7                  @anaconda
sane-frontends.x86_64           1.0.14-19.el7                 @anaconda
xsane.x86_64                    0.999-9.el7                   @base
xsane-common.x86_64             0.999-9.el7                   @anaconda
xsane-gimp.x86_64               0.999-9.el7                   @anaconda
# sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan],
chip=GL848+) at libusb:001:005
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# xsane
-> no devices found

(I know xsane shouldn't normally be run from root - this was just to
eliminate and libusb permission issues.)

I've seen a suggestion that 1.0.26 is required, hence the Fedora
suggestion.  BTW, I tried a "brute-force" Fedora install, but the
dependency hell soon persuaded me of the error of my ways!

Thanks for your suggestion,
Martin