[CentOS] Gnome weather applet stranded

Wed Aug 24 21:57:56 UTC 2016
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 8/24/2016 2:44 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 8/24/2016 8:46 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Had you gone to noaa.gov, and clicked on climate, it appears that they
>> want to now charge you $3/yr for the service.
>
> I'm getting DNS not found errors from anything in NOAA.GOV.

flushed my dns cache, now its working, whack.

> anyways, 'climate' refers to historical averages by
> location/month/week/date.    presumably the API involved here was for
> current weather conditions and forecast.

wait, that noaa.gov $3/person is saying thats what the National Weather
service costs to provide annually.   its not a fee.

anyways, here's the bulletin saying the old weather.noaa.gov web api is
discontinued
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/scn16-16wngccb.htm

the raw data is now distributed here,
http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/