[CentOS] CentOS 6: files now owned by nobody:nobody

Tue Aug 30 14:02:32 UTC 2016

Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 06:59:31PM -0400, Pat Haley wrote:
>> ... We
>> noticed that all the files were owned by nobody (with nobody as the
>> group).
>
> If its NFSv4, then its most likely a problem with your idmapper.  Make
> sure that the rpc.idmapd is running on your client, and that your
> server has appropriate ID mapping enabled.
>
> If its NFSv4, are you using sec=krb5*?

I gather other folks have been saying to fix Domain =, and make sure
Method = nsswitch is not commented out, in /etc/idmapd.conf. Other things:
   1. *also* in /etc/idmapd.conf, go further down, and comment out or
           delete the *other* schema - for example, the UMICH schema is
           by default enabled, for some reason. *Definitely* disable that.
           Scroll to the bottom of the file, to make sure nothing else is
           on by default.
   2. nsswitch - check /etc/nsswitch.conf

Then restart idmapd.

        mark