[CentOS] Server turns off unexpectedly

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Mon Dec 12 11:01:52 UTC 2016

Le 12/12/2016 à 11:50, Gary Stainburn a écrit :
> A few weeks back I built a new Centos 7 server from a 4 year old workstation
> PC, and a brand new HDD.
>
> This PC had no prior problems other than it ran Windows 7. Thew new HDD is
> because I'm planning to also use it as a Bacula storage device.
>
> For the moment is purely an AirPrint server, using CUPS and Avahi so is ide
> 99.9% of the time.
>
> My priblem is that twice now it has turned itself off, the last time being at
> 7:40am today.  There is nothing I can find in the logs prior to it going off,
> just the normal start-up entries when it's turned back on.
>
> Can anyone suggest why i may be happening, or how I can diagnose it. The
> server is in a UPS protected cabinet in locked room

First thing I would do is check the temperature. In my experience,
excessive heat is the main reason for unexpected shutdown operations.

I'm using the nifty Glances utility (available in EPEL) to do basic
monitoring. If your server overheats, you'll gradually see your
temperature indicator turn from green to purple and then to red. I know
there are other utilities, but this is good for checking this sort of
stuff in real-time.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat