[CentOS] Server turns off unexpectedly

Gary Stainburn gary at ringways.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 11:37:14 UTC 2016

On Monday 12 December 2016 11:01:52 Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
(first thing I'm going to do it buy a new keyboard, or employ a proof reader.
Sorry for all the errors folks)

> First thing I would do is check the temperature. In my experience,
> excessive heat is the main reason for unexpected shutdown operations.

I have had this in the past where either the CPU or PSU fan had died.  I'll
check both of these next time I'm on site, but I believe the PSU is fairly
new anyway.

> I'm using the nifty Glances utility (available in EPEL) to do basic
> monitoring. If your server overheats, you'll gradually see your
> temperature indicator turn from green to purple and then to red. I know
> there are other utilities, but this is good for checking this sort of
> stuff in real-time.

I installed Glance and had a look, but the sensors didn't show, even when I
pressed 'S' as per the help page.

Also, as this is a headless server, can anyone suggest a non-GUI monitor app?