[CentOS] Updated to CentOS 7.3. Works well. Needed to restorecon on /home.

Yan Li

elliot.li.tech at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 19:25:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

Sharing my experience upgrading my CentOS 7.2 to 7.3 this morning. I had
to use kernel-ml 4.8 for its support of Skylake on my Dell Precision
7510 laptop. This morning 4.9 came out but I don't felt like trying it,
because of the possibility of breaking my ZFS and nVIDIA stuff. So I
decided to give the 7.3 in CR repo for a try.

The upgrading was smooth. The only problem was that I had to reinstall
nVIDIA proprietary drive because my nouveau blacklist was gone. I also
had to run restorecon on /home because all labels were wrong. That broke
Chrome and many other programs that need to access files in user home. I
have no idea what's the cause yet.

3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64's support for Skylake is great. I see no
difference between it and the previous 4.8 kernel I used.

Then I was surprised when another CentOS also got all the 7.3 packages.
That's when I realized that 7.3 was officially released this morning!

--
Yan Li