[CentOS] spec file frustration (rant)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 13 22:27:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, December 13, 2016 4:16 pm, Alice Wonder wrote:
> I'm getting spec files from centos git which is really convenient when
> the related source is easy to find. But some things - e.g. from a spec
> file
>
> # How to create the source tarball:
> #
> # git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/python-rhsm.git/
> # cd client/python-rhsm
> # tito build --tag python-rhsm-$VERSION-$RELEASE --tgz
>
> Never used tito before, so I install it and try, and rather than giving
> me the source package I need - it gives me a python traceback
> complaining that I haven't configured some things properly.
>
> Seems a lot of the software distribution world is getting overly complex
> with an expectation that the end user who needs to exercise his FLOSS
> rights has to use git or nodejs or for php composer or whatever just to
> get what use to be available with no more complexity than choosing
> tar.gz or tar.bz2 or .zip if the dev was Windows.
>
> Whatever happened to KISS and why can't source tarballs be distributed
> as source tarballs?
>
> Back when I was a Fedora packager - the packaging guidelines would
> reject a package of the Source tarball wasn't a URL and if the timestamp
> on the tarball in the src.rpm didn't match upstream even if the checksum
> was identical.
>
> Guess those days are gone.

<rant>
Not exactly. I'm pretty happy with FreeBSD pkg system, and with poudriere
whenever I need custom configs different from what package maintainers
choice. No unneeded complication crap.

Of course, this is only rant from point of view of mentioning our rival:
FreeBSD on our list ;-)
</rant>

Valeri

> /rant