[CentOS] spec file frustration (rant)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 13 23:21:01 UTC 2016

On Tue, December 13, 2016 5:09 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/13/2016 2:35 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> That's why I'm running Slackware on most of my systems.
>
> that doesn't solve the issue of various FOSS projects using all kinda
> whacky build toolkits and requirements.
>
> one tool I wanted to build a few weeks ago depended on common lisp.
>
> another package I wanted to play with required this whole complex python
> infrastructure which I'd never seen or heard of before (Im not a python
> dev although I can follow bits of code, and even make minor changes),
> and the build commands in that infrastructure were pulling in source
> packages from various servers all over the world, which kinda scared me
> from a security standpoint.

That is inevitable: some of the tools/projects to work may require you to
bring a huge external infrastructure if you want to use them. This has no
way around.

Another thing is: when building of the project (libraries, binaries, etc)
requires sophisticated infrastructure that is not necessary after you
built it. This and only this is what I meant when mentioned FreeBSD pkg
and poudriere for building custom configured packages - you only need that
infrastructure when building (on build box in build jail...).

But in general, yes, the world seems to have gone the way "why simple,
when you can do it complex way".

I guess I should have added rant tags...

Valeri

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247