[CentOS] spec file frustration (rant)

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed Dec 14 20:38:46 UTC 2016

Hello Jonathan,

On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 15:03 -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 07:29:19PM +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> > > get_sources.sh
> >
> > The name suggests this is what we need (or do we??) If only I could find
> > that script anywhere...
>
> Johnny said it at the beginning of his email.  I'll paste it again so
> you don't have to go re-read it:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 06:58:02AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > They are located here:
> >
> > https://git.centos.org/summary/centos-git-common.git

Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

However, cloning that repo does not work...

$ git clone https://git.centos.org/summary/centos-git-common.git
Initialized empty Git repository
in /data/leonard/srcothers/centos/centos-git-common/.git/
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

What am I missing?

And then there remains the question: git checkout for a package gathers
the spec file and patches, so why do we need a script to get the source
tarball when all that is stopping it from getting checked out is an
entry in .gitignore? A whole script to undo that one entry
in .gitignore? What's the idea behind this?

Regards,
Leonard.