[CentOS] Can't delete or move /home on 7.3 install

geo.inbox.ignored geo.inbox.ignored at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:10:07 UTC 2016

On 12/15/2016 01:47 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:49 AM, Glenn E. Bailey III <
> replicant at dallaslamers.org> wrote:
>
>> Tried this in both AWS and GCE as I though it may be a specific cloud
>> vendor issue. SELinux is disabled, lsof | grep home shows nothing,
>> lsattr /home shows nothing. Simply get "Device or resource busy."
>>
>> Works just find on 7.2 so I'm kinda at a loss. Scanned over the RHEL
>> release notes and didn't see anything. Anyone else have this issue? We
>> move our /home to another mount point and symlink /home to it ..
>>

> Do you have access to the console, so that you can try to do the move while
> in single user mode?

}}

that is one possibility.

even greater is op is a 'user', not 'root'.

_normally_ / most, if not all unix/linux systems, /home is owned by
'root'. which means *everything*, including a 'user' home directory
is own by 'root'. therefore a 'user' running a normal user can do
_nothing_ to his/her 'home' directory.

therefore a normal user *must* 'sudo' or 'su' to make changes to
users 'home' directory.

hth.

--

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
 - Albert Einstein

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.8
KDE 4.3.4

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

=+=
Tired of having your microsoft os hacked?
Change to Linux os, used by microsoft hackers.
=+=
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
=+=
=+=