[CentOS] raid 6 on centos 7

Alessandro Baggi alessandro.baggi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:25:33 UTC 2016

Il 12/12/2016 17:15, popeeni at chmail.ir ha scritto:
>  i have 6 sata hdd 2 TB . i want install  centos 7 on these hdd  in raid 6 mode.
>
> how can i do it ?

If you have a dedicated controlled (supported) you can create the raid
from controller menu and install.

If you want install CentOS on RAID6 using mdadm, you must make boot
partition away from raid6. I've not tried a RAID6 but when tried raid5 I
did created a boot partition and installed the os on raid5.
(Correct me if things are changed).

Using mdadm you can install /boot on raid1 and the rest on raid6, or the
entire os on raid1 and data on raid6 (with this you can create only
raid1 from anaconda and raid6 from installed system).

I don't know what type of hardware you are using but if you use
motherboard controller you can have poor performances, so if you want
try for testing is fine, for performance productive server I suggest to
use a dedicated controller.

Hope that helps.