[CentOS] Kernel Panic at Boot

Wed Dec 7 20:09:59 UTC 2016
Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org>

Hi All,

This is a Centos 6.4 system used as a home server and Myth backend
machine. It has just suffered a motherboard failure and I have got a
identical replacement.

This machine normally runs in run level 3. It has a NVidia graphics card
and the NVidia driver installed but I found it crashed the machine as
soon as I started X on there. So I never bothered with X and left it in RL3.

So as part of the re-commissioning of this machine I decided to remove
the NVidia driver and go back to Nouveau. I shouldn't have bothered.

Even starting in RL1 it kernel panics at bootup toward the end of the
boot process. If I boot it in level 3 all the daemons start and it runs
a little bit of script I have in rc.local to enable ACL's and then panics.

The panic is something like

panic occurred, switching back to text console.
general protection fault: 0000 [#2] SMP
last sysfs file: /sys/devices/virtual/block/dm-5/dm/name
CPU 1
Modules linked in: "........list of modules......."

Pid: 147, comm: plymouthd Tainted: G         D -------------------
2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64 #1 Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd P43-ES3G/P43-ES3G

There's a list of CPU registers and a call trace after that. I have a
photo of the screen if that information is useful

Any idea how I can trace this.

Many thanks

Ken

--