[CentOS] spec file frustration (rant)

Tue Dec 13 22:16:57 UTC 2016
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

I'm getting spec files from centos git which is really convenient when
the related source is easy to find. But some things - e.g. from a spec file

# How to create the source tarball:
#
# git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/python-rhsm.git/
# cd client/python-rhsm
# tito build --tag python-rhsm-$VERSION-$RELEASE --tgz

Never used tito before, so I install it and try, and rather than giving
me the source package I need - it gives me a python traceback
complaining that I haven't configured some things properly.

Seems a lot of the software distribution world is getting overly complex
with an expectation that the end user who needs to exercise his FLOSS
rights has to use git or nodejs or for php composer or whatever just to
get what use to be available with no more complexity than choosing
tar.gz or tar.bz2 or .zip if the dev was Windows.

Whatever happened to KISS and why can't source tarballs be distributed
as source tarballs?

Back when I was a Fedora packager - the packaging guidelines would
reject a package of the Source tarball wasn't a URL and if the timestamp
on the tarball in the src.rpm didn't match upstream even if the checksum
was identical.

Guess those days are gone.

/rant