[CentOS] Help with httpd userdir recovery

Tue Dec 27 15:25:22 UTC 2016

I lost my harddrive on my little personal webserver that only serves
some private files from my userdir.

So I am trying to build this from notes on a new Centos7.3 installation
(well really Centos7.3-arm, but supposedly same sources).

Right now the server is running on a test subnet, not the production,
but I have set up the hostname and my standard httpd edits.  I have
enabled userdir and setup my /home/rgm/public_html directory with 711
permissions.

I can display the /home/rgm/public_html/index.html file that only has
"Hello World' in it (to prevent anyone from walking my file tree from
the root).

But when I try to display the files in a subdir with ipaddr/~rgm/mydir

I get

You don't have permission to access /~rgm/mydir/ on this server.

So obviously I have forgotten something that I did not put into my
notes, or something has changed from Centos6.

I have tried both:

<Directory "/home/*/public_html">
     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
     Require method GET POST OPTIONS
</Directory>

which is what the current /etc/httpd/conf.d/userdir.conf has, and what I
have in my notes:

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
     </Limit>