[CentOS] deleted .dbus/sessions-bus/[fn]

Sat Dec 17 14:57:25 UTC 2016

On Dec 17, 2016, at 9:23 AM, geo.inbox.ignored <geo.inbox.ignored at gmail.com> wrote:
> what i am now in wonder of is if there is any differance in file
> between the 2 computers.
>
> ie, is there a differance between a 32 bit and 64 bit system's
> /.dbus/sessions-bus/* file?
>
> as said, a web search nor reading thru pages, ie, faq, help, doc
> pages at http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ <http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/> gave no
> indication of such.

1.) There is no /.dbus/ directory on any CentOS systems I’ve used.  It sounds to me like someone tried to run a dbus-aware user program as root where $HOME=/.  It would be regenerated if you did that again.  The system-level dbus files are in /var/lib/dbus.  The systemd init system uses dbus to communicate, but it uses a private socket file.

2.) That said, yes, the dbus configuration is a per-host config with a unique machine-id for the system dbus-daemon and unique dbus sessions for users.  They’re generated when you first run a session.