[CentOS] CentOS 7, ATI video, ex-X, still fighting [SOLVED]

Mon Dec 19 16:25:40 UTC 2016

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Still trying to get it running. Updated CentOS 7, ATI video card, trying
> to use the radeon driver, and, using the previous kernel, X appears to
> come up, but gdm fails; with the 514 kernel, X fails to start.
>
> And here's a twist: I just rebooted, with radeon.modeset=1 on the kernel
> line... and for no reason I know of, I get *six* logs, Xorg.[0-5].log.
> Does this suggest anything to anyone? I can't imagine it's trying to start
> X six times....

Never mind folks. You'll love this: I figured I'd try the proprietary
drivers. I d/l that, rsync it onto his machine, init 3, start to install -
it's an actual rpm, and it complains it conflicts with the kmod-fglrx. So,
I uninstall that. I clean up /etc/X11 to pristine, and then - I was on the
previous kernel, the one that cured mad COW, because X at least tried to
come up with that  - decide to reboot to the current, 514 kernel, and run
the install against that.

So I reboot (from my desk, having done all that remotely, and a couple
minutes later, over my cube wall, I hear, "shall I just log in?"

With kmod-fglrx, it had come up, without the proprietary drives, both
monitors active, all is wonderful.

AAAARRRGHGHGHGGHGH!!!

Season's greetings to all, and *please*, may the next year be better than
the old.

       mark