[CentOS] CentOS 7 and network printers: FYI

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 1 15:57:13 UTC 2016

On Mon, February 1, 2016 9:17 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I got an email from a user that I'd just handed a new CentOS 7 workstation
> to, wondering where all the printers were.
>
> It took some investigation to find /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf, and see,
> in it, at the very bottom of the file:
>
> # NOTE: This file is not part of CUPS. You need to start & enable
> cups-browsed service.
>
> Which appears to be brand new with 7, and I have not seen any mention of
> it.
>
> Enabled and started, and the network printers are visible on the cups
> localhost web page->printers.

Unrelated to the topic, but may be helpful for somebody who uses cups
browsing option. I usually turn off cups browsing. Here is why: someone
brings laptop to our network, and may have one of his/her printers
"shared". Somebody else finds, sets it up, and happily uses it. Till the
first person goes away. Then second person comes to me telling my printer
doesn't work. Which is not my printer, in a sense I can do nothing about
what the second person had done about that printer...

Just my $0.02

Valeri
Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator