[CentOS] Re: Latest version of kate editor

Yamaban foerster at lisas.de
Mon Feb 1 19:20:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:22, H <agents at ...> wrote:

> I have installed the kate editor on Centos 6.7 but it seems to be a very old version, 3.3.4, installed as part of kdesdk. On Centos 7 I can simply run 'yum install kate' but, alas, not on Centos 6.
>
> What is the recommended way of updating kate on Centos 6?
>
> Thank you.

First you find out from wich package (rpm) your kate is.

either you try to as yum: "yum search kate",

or you do the full monty:
locate the binary "type kate", usually /usr/bin/kate,
then you ask rpm from which package this file comes:
"rpm -qf /usr/bin/kate"
take the main package name (the part before the version numbers)
and feed it to yum:

yum update [kate-package-name]

YMMV, depening on what repos you have enabled or not.

You can search most of what is available via pkgs.org,
for kate, for example

http://pkgs.org/search/kate

then select "Centos 6" (maybe you have to scroll down for that)

The EPEL repo seems to have version 0.3.8 of libkate at least.

Have a nice week.
  - Yamaban