[CentOS] Latest version of kate editor

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Feb 2 14:28:11 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 01:22:44PM -0500, H wrote:
> I have installed the kate editor on Centos 6.7 but it seems to be a
> very old version, 3.3.4, installed as part of kdesdk. On Centos 7 I
> can simply run 'yum install kate' but, alas, not on Centos 6.
>
> What is the recommended way of updating kate on Centos 6?

If you're fully up to date with 'yum', then that's the most recent
version of 'kate' you are going to get from CentOS.

CentOS is not a bleeding-edge distribution that constantly keeps
packages up to date with the upstream projects.  If you want that, try
another distribution like Fedora.

The version of KDE in CentOS6 (which kate appears to be a part of) is
unlikely to get upgraded to the version in CentOS7.

There is a 3rd-party repository that might have an upgraded KDE:
http://www.trinitydesktop.org/about.php

(I found this on the list of 3rd party repos here:
https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories