[CentOS] Measuring memory bandwidth utilization

Benjamin Smith

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Wed Feb 3 01:34:40 UTC 2016

I'd like to know what the cause of a particular DB server's slowdown might be.
We've ruled out IOPs for the disks (~ 20%) and raw CPU load (top shows perhaps
1/2 of cores busy, but the system slows to a crawl.

We're suspecting that we're simply running out of memory bandwidth but have no
way to confirm this suspicion. Is there a way to test for this? Think: iostat
but for memory bandwidth instead of disk IO.

So far, searching has found intel-cmt-cat-master which isn't supported on our
CPU and oprofile which *sounds* like it does what I want from their website but
I can't seem to get output that, in any way, tells me what the bandwidth usage
is.

Any idea?