[CentOS] delete directories with find and exclude other directories

Tim Dunphy

bluethundr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:37:44 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm attempting to delete some directories and I want to be able to exclude
a directory called 'logs' from being deleted.

This is my basic find operation (without the exclusion)

# find . -type d  |tail -10
./d20160124-1120-df8mfb/deployments
./d20160124-1120-df8mfb/releases
./d20160131-16993-vazqg5
./d20160131-16993-vazqg5/metadata
./d20160131-16993-vazqg5/deployments
./d20160131-16993-vazqg5/releases
./logs
./d20160203-27735-1tqbjh6
./d20160125-1120-1yccr9p
./d20160131-16993-1yf9lnc

I'm just tailing the output so that you have an idea of what's going on
without taking up the whole page. :)

If I try to exlclude the logs directory with the prune command I get back
no results.

root at ops-manager:/tmp/tmp# find . -type d  -prune -o -name 'logs' -print
root at ops-manager:/tmp#

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tim