[CentOS] How bad is "rm -rf /" ?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 5 21:17:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, February 5, 2016 1:55 pm, Nathan Duehr wrote:

>> On Feb 2, 2016, at 17:57, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Suppose I executed the command
>>
>> rm -rf /
>
> There was also this article recently that pointed out that if the box
> boots via UEFI, you may brick the machine, depending on setup.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory

 I know, there is  separate thread about You trimmed away what I said I
purposefully did experiment on NON - UEFI hardware... So, your comment
belonges to that other thread, you may want to re-post it as reply to one
of the messages of _that_ thread.

This thread had actually been closed by one of the experts who dismantled
every one of my no-expert statements. However, as far as my experiment is
concerned, the fact stayed for me as a fact, namely: we all are scared
that that command will leave us loosing everything we have on the hard
drive. In my experiment I lost only /boot. Whoever is interested, should
be able to find original description of my experiment in list archives.
And don't miss the post of an expert! I'm sure both on them will encourage
your brain to to do some exercises which always is educational.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago