[CentOS] Utility to zero unused blocks on disk

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Feb 8 21:37:36 UTC 2016

Personally, I just do 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/zero.img bs=1M; rm -f
/path/to/zero.img'. It's inelegant, for sure, but it works (note to run
it as a normal user or else be careful of how your system reacts to
running out of disk space for a moment).

fix-it-with-a-hammer-digimer

On 08/02/16 04:34 PM, Wes James wrote:
> Is there a utility to zero unused blocks on a disk?
>
> CentOS 6.7/Ext4
>
> I saw zerofree, but I’m not sure it would work on Ext4 or even work on this version of CentOS.
>
> thanks,
>
> -wes

Digimer
access to education?