[CentOS] heads up: /boot space on kernel upgrade

Ricardo J. Barberis ricardo at palmtx.com.ar
Mon Feb 15 19:00:38 UTC 2016

El Sábado 13/02/2016, Valeri Galtsev escribió:
> On Sat, February 13, 2016 2:50 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> > On 2/13/2016 12:19 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> >> It is interesting to observe how perceptions are changing over time.
> >> Decade or two ago we were partitioning small then drives (thus loosing
> >> some of the space) just to separate regular users from those places
> >> vital
> >> for secure and reliable running of the system. Security. There days I
> >> bet
> >> there will be multiple experts who will bag me to death if I will try to
> >> offer any pro partitioning argument. This is just a very interesting
> >> (for
> >> me) observation.
> >
> > I still like making /home its own file system, and if I'm running a
> > substantial (non-trivial) database server, it also has its own volume,
> > quite likely on its own raid.
>
> John, you made my day! It is so wonderful to know I'm not the only one who
> still does this!

Well, I though this was standard practice, at least for severs.

At work we usually set several partitions (/boot, /, /opt, /var,
/var/lib/mysql, /tmp, /home, /home/backup) depending on the use case.

For desktops it's always /boot, / and /home.

Cheers,
--
Ricardo J. Barberis
Usuario Linux Nº 250625: http://counter.li.org/