[CentOS] zenity <-- Re: rpm containing gmessage???

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Mon Feb 15 19:57:25 UTC 2016

On 02/11/2016 07:43 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:55:16 -0500 ken wrote:
>
>>> gmessage has been more-or-less superseded by zenity.
>>>

>> That's nutz.  From docs I've seen, gmessage is way more flexible
>> and featured.
>
> It doesn't appear that way to me, but what do I know.  I just use
> zenity for my own bash scripts and whatnot.
>
> Anyway, just for you I have just created a Centos 7 rpm of the
> latest GTK3 based version of that program and posted it on my
> website.
>
> http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/el7/index.html
>
> Enjoy.

Thanks so much, Frank.  That was really nice of you to do.  But I was
looking for 'gmessage', not 'gxmessage'.  I tried out 'gxmessage' before
and, you're right, it isn't as featured or visually appealing as zenity.
  A week or so ago, prior to posting about this, when I searched after
'gmessage' I'd found a webpage on it showing it to be a completely
different animal from 'gxmessage' and a *much* improved version of it
too, allowing one to combine many different widgets into one window.
But I wasn't able to find any package, executables, or even source code
for it.  So, after looking at other options, including the one you
graciously provided, I've settled for using zenity.  It doesn't do
everything I was looking for my app to do, and it has one outright
non-performer, but expediency makes it viable... enough.

Heck, maybe I'm missing a couple things in zenity which someone here hasn't:

Is there a way to make the font of some of the text in a zenity-created
window larger?  This property doesn't seem to be configurable in any
way. If it matters, I'm using text entry (--entry) mode.

Is there a way to customize the zenity-created window's background
color?  (Same mode.)

Every other gui app I open a window for in gnome (for a long time)
creates a corresponding button in the bottom bar, even if the user opens
a sub-window from a main gui app (e.g., open "Address Book" in
Thunderbird or "Show All Bookmarks" in Firefox).  But pop a
zenity-created window and there's no corresponding button created in the
bottom bar for it.  I'd think there shouldn't be any extra effort
required for this conventional (could we say "default"?)  behavior, but
is there?

Any help with any one (or more) of these three issues is much appreciated.