[CentOS] heads up: /boot space on kernel upgrade

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Feb 16 15:15:57 UTC 2016

On 02/13/2016 03:50 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> I still like making /home its own file system, and if I'm running a
> substantial (non-trivial) database server, it also has its own volume,
> quite likely on its own raid.

I've done this for close to 20 years  (19 years this April, to be
exact); my current /home has been copied mostly intact (some dotfile
stuff left behind, of course) since my Red Hat Linux 4 days.

It makes certain operations simpler and safer; things like completely
reinstalling the OS if required aren't nearly as problematic with a
separate /home (I did this to be able to change / from ext3 to xfs once,
for an example).