[CentOS] CentOS 7, Xeon CPUs, not booting, [SOLVED], bug filed

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Feb 18 22:25:10 UTC 2016

<SNIP>
> What I did:
> 1. in /etc/fstab, I changed LABEL= to /dev/sda*
> 2. I did rebuild the initramfs with that.
> That still didn't do it.
>
> Finally, I did this: from the grub2 boot menu, I edited the kernel line so
> that instead of reading ... root=LABEL=/, it read root=/dev/sda3, and it
> booted with zero issues.
>
> There is, therefore, a bug in grub2? the handoff to systemd? where it does
> not handle LABEL correctly.

One more bit of information, which I added to the bug report: using
e2label, I relabeled /boot and / to boot and root, and edited /etc/fstab
and /etc/grub2.cfg to reflect that... and it booted with no trouble. I
believe that a month ago, I neglected to edit grub2.cfg.

Note that /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sde1, which both have labels that begin with
a leading slash, mounted correctly. This, to me, indicates the bug is with
grub2's handling of LABEL=.

        mark