[CentOS] Bitcoin for CentOS 7

Alice Wonder

alice at domblogger.net
Wed Feb 24 13:25:33 UTC 2016

For those interested I have a working spec file for Bitcoin 0.12.0

https://github.com/AliceWonderMiscreations/bitcoin/blob/master/contrib/rpm/bitcoin.spec

I believe the only BuildRequires that isn't in CentOS/EPEL is
miniupnpc-devel but that's trivial to build as well.

With Bitcoin 0.12.0 the ECC stuff that Red Hat ripped out of OpenSSL
doesn't matter anymore.

-=-

That spec file is somewhat based on what
https://www.ringingliberty.com/bitcoin/ does for Fedora / CentOS with a
couple noted differences -

A) I don't have SELinux stuff (yet). His SELinux stuff is broken on
CentOS 7. Only matters for the bitcoin-server package, the GUI client
doesn't seem to matter.

B) He uses system BerkeleyDB. I build BerkeleyDB when building bitcoin
because BerkeleyDB is fragile enough that changes to it can cause a
wallet that can't be read by other clients.

C) He adds a patch that adds functionality needed by a very small
demographic - hardware machines that sell bitcoins. I prefer to not add
that patch because I prefer pristine source rather than modifying what
the devs produced for a feature 99.9% of the population doesn't need.

So I prefer to stick with the precise version that bitcoin.org uses in
the binary builds they distribute. Happens to be same version CentOS 7
has now but that may not always be the case. It isn't with CentOS 6.

Anyway if anyone one this list has interest, figured I'd share the spec
file. Adding SELinux to the server package I will work on.

Oh the referenced patch that is there is only needed for LibreSSL, you
can comment it out to build against OpenSSL.

0.12.0 seems much faster at indexing than previous versions, and catches
up faster when it is behind on blocks.