[CentOS] Changing default file type in Centos 6

Liam O'Toole liam.p.otoole at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 23:27:32 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-27, Frank Cox
<theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 16:33:00 -0500 H wrote:
>
>> No, that I already did. I am talking about the file type when you
>> open a graphical directory window.
>
> I'm missing something here.  Do you mean that you want to change icon
> that shows up in a Nautilus window for a particular filetype?

I think the OP is talking about the file type that Nautilus reports when
you right-click on a file and bring up the 'Properties' dialog.

In my case (also CentOS 6) Naulitus reports 'Genesis ROM' for files with
the .md extension. The file command, on the other hand, reports 'ASCII
English text'.

The file responsible for the behaviour of Nautilus is
/usr/share/mime/application/x-genesis-rom.xml, which appears to have
been generated by update-mime-database.

--

Liam