[CentOS] power management / tuned following external power source

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Feb 28 10:43:03 UTC 2016

hi,

twice in the last week I've been caught out where the laptop was running
tuned with 'throughput-performance' profile on the work table, and I
walked away, carried on working - and had the battery run flat in just
over an hour.

Compare this with tuned running the 'powersave' profile - will usually
take the battery through to 3hrs+ - and if i just totally turn down the
cpu's in the powersave mode, I can get 5 hrs+ on the x1 carbon gen2
laptop I've got.

So what I am wondering is if there is an easy way to have the tuned-adm
reset profiles based on external power source. If I'm at the work table
and plugged in, run with throughput-performance mode, and if the
external power is disconnected, run in powersave mode ? I've had,
admittedly a brief, look and found nothing obvious. Has anyone else run
into this before ?

Regards

--
Karanbir Singh