[CentOS] In A UEFI World, "rm -rf /" Can Brick Your System

Mon Feb 1 19:33:35 UTC 2016

Excerpt:
Running rm -rf / on any UEFI Linux distribution can potentially
perma-brick your system.

As a public service announcement, recursively removing all of your files
from / is no longer recommended. On UEFI distributions by default where
EFI variables are accessible via /sys, this can now mean trashing your
UEFI implementation.

There is this systemd bug report requesting that UEFI variables be mounted
as read-only by default. Lennart Poettering had initially responded and
simply said, "Well, there are tools that actually want to write it. We
also expose /dev/sda accessible for root, even though it can be used to
hose your system. The ability to hose a system is certainly reason enought
to make sure it's well protected and only writable to root. But beyond
that: root can do anything really." He then closed the ticket.
--- end excerpt ---

<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory>

"And they closed the ticket"? That tuxedo on the cockroach is so elegent!

Ok, *now* tell me why we shouldn't hate systemd?

       mark