[CentOS] Pi 2 Alternatives

Thu Feb 4 16:45:36 UTC 2016
Tris Hoar <trishoar at bgfl.org>

On 04/02/2016 15:33, Chris Olson wrote:
> We have a requirement for a new application that will be used
> fixed, portable, and mobile.  The hardware requirements drive
> the need for networking as well as some general purpose and
> special purpose interfaces.  The software requirements are
> quite simple in comparison to many of our much larger systems
> with similar hardware requirements.  We are not significantly
> restricted in choice of storage peripherals or other devices
> that may be needed.
>
> We believe that a small, single board computer will meet all
> requirements as long as it can run Linux.  We have identified
> the need for approximately six prototyping units to support
> the initial production of about 200 to 300 operational systems.
> Our development and deployment time frame does not drive the
> need for an extremely rapid product decision, and there are
> pre-planned upgrade cycles over the next five years.
>
> An internal group has achieved a significant head of steam in
> support of using the Pi 2 Model B.  The support enthusiasm may
> be partly technical and partly the hype associated with jumping
> into the Pi community.  The number of suppliers does appear to
> support our supply chain and sustainment requirements, however
> the Linux available for the Pi 2 does not appear to be optimal.
> It would be better if there were choices that include a standard
> Linux distribution such as CentOS.
>
> This certainly seems like one of those situations where a trade
> of single board computer products is appropriate and achievable.
> There are products similar to the Pi 2 capable of running a more
> standard Linux distribution that we might consider.  Does anyone
> have an experience-based single board computer recommendation?
>
> Thanks in advance for any product recommendations.

Not sure if you are aware of this

https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/Arm32

But that might help the Pi fit your needs.

Tris

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation