[CentOS] How bad is "rm -rf /" ?

Sat Feb 6 02:31:51 UTC 2016
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

On 02/05/16 14:55, Nathan Duehr wrote:

>> On Feb 2, 2016, at 17:57, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Suppose I executed the command
>>
>> rm -rf /
>
> There was also this article recently that pointed out that if the box boots via UEFI, you may brick the machine, depending on setup.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory
>
>> Nate

So let me get this straight.  You are saying that you can make changes
to the MB ROM/EPROM/whatever hardware the vendor uses, by issuing an
erase command on a hard drive?  I'm having a bit of trouble believing that.

You might be able to trash the system on the HD to a point that it is
unrecoverable.  I will believe that.

When you're done trashing the system you just have to reinstall the
system just like you would with a clean new HD.

All that UEFI crap is built into the MB in Read Only hardware.  A new HD
does not come with any of the UEFI files or directories already on the
disk.  All that is created at the initial install.  Blowing them away
with a remove command does nothing to the MB hardware because it's Read
Only hardware.

--
    _
   °v°