[CentOS] heads up: /boot space on kernel upgrade

Thu Feb 11 18:45:25 UTC 2016

Devin Reade wrote:
> I have a CentOS 6 machine that was initially installed as CentOS 6.4
> in May of 2013.  It's /boot filesystem is 200M which, IIRC, was the
> default /boot size at the time.
>
> The most recent kernel update (2.6.32-573.18.1.el6) fails because of
> lack of space in /boot. The workaround is edit /etc/yum.conf, reduce
> installonly_limit from 5 to something lower (I used 3), remove the
> oldest kernel via 'rpm -e', and then re-apply the update.  In this case,
> it was necessary to use the 'yum update' command line vs the Update Applet
> due to an incomplete transaction from the failed update.

Right. Around that time, fedora wanted a gig, and so, seeing the future,
we've been assigning a gig to /boot for a few years now. I would
*strongly* recommend that for new or rebuilt systems.

On the other hand, don't really see the need to save five previous kernels.

        mark