[CentOS] heads up: /boot space on kernel upgrade

Sat Feb 13 14:55:02 UTC 2016
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 02/13/2016 05:57 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Devin Reade wrote:
>
>> I have a CentOS 6 machine that was initially installed as CentOS 6.4
>> in May of 2013.  It's /boot filesystem is 200M which, IIRC, was the
>> default /boot size at the time.
>
> As a matter of interest, is there any advantage today
> in having a /boot partition?
> I thought it went back to the days when the boot-loader
> had to be near the beginning of the disk?

With GRUB legacy, there are some limitations on /boot.  It cannot
be encrypted, cannot reside on some types of software RAID,
cannot be in an LVM logical volume, and must be in an ext2/3/4
filesystem.  If your root filesystem violates any of that, then
you need a separate /boot partition.  GRUB 2 removes most of
those restrictions.

                 Do NOT delete it.