[CentOS] Alternative IP addresses

Tue Feb 16 09:15:43 UTC 2016
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

John R Pierce wrote:

>> My CentOS-7 home server has a static IP address.
>>
>> Is there a simple way of organizing the hpptd server
>> so that it is accessible through this address at a remote host,
>> but is accessed at its 192.168 address by a laptop on the WiFi LAN?

> are you also running your own DNS at home?

I'm not running my own DNS server,
and would prefer not to.

> is this httpd server 'dual
> homed' and have a NIC on both the internet side and your local LAN ?

I'm not quite sure what "dual-homed" means.
The machine on which httpd runs has a fixed IP address.
Is there any way this machine could be accessed on the local LAN
through this IP address, rather than 192.168... ?

> you could run split DNS, so on your LAN, mydomain.com is 192.168.x.x
> while on the internet, mydomain.com is the actual IP address.

I'd rather not run a DNS server on my machine.
I tried this some years ago, and ran into trouble.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net