[CentOS] USB Serial ports (ttyACMn) CentOS 6.7 (64-bit) vs. CentOS 6.7 (64-bit)

Tue Feb 16 13:25:01 UTC 2016
Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have not yet found a USB-to-serial adapter detected as /dev/ttyACM1.
> > Try /dev/ttyUSB0 ?
>
> Both naming schemes are correct, depending on the *type* of USB to serial
> converter.  The difference comes down to a low-level USB implementation
> detail which I’ve never bothered to commit to long-term memory.

Yep.
If I recall correctly, minicom defaults to ttyACM0 or 1 on a fresh install.
I wasn't claiming that device name was wrong, but more so that ttyUSB0 is
more common (though that may not truly be the case).

> I just say “dmesg | tail” or “ls -ltr /dev” shortly after plugging the
> device in.  One of the two tells me which scheme that particular device
> uses.

Yes indeed. Dmesg is my first stop as well. :-)

This could suffice as well. Many ways to "skin the cat"
~$ ls -l /dev/tty[A-Z]*

--
Mike