[CentOS] Kernel parameters ignored -

Thu Feb 18 08:25:45 UTC 2016
Michael H <michael at wemoto.com>

On 17/02/16 19:55, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/17/2016 6:39 AM, Michael H wrote:
>> Some additional information;
>>
>> sysctl -a | grep kernel.shm
>> kernel.shmall = 8650752
>> kernel.shmmax = 35433480192
>> kernel.shmmni = 4096
>>
>> which corresponds to my /etc/sysctl.conf
>> kernel.shmmax=35433480192
>> kernel.shmall=8650752
>>
>> but contradicts;
>> ulimit -a
>> [...]
>> stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
>

> SysV Shared Memory has nothing to do with stack size.
>
> note, btw, the latest releases of postgres (I think as of 9.3?) no
> longer need large values of shmall,shmmax as they now use a different
> method of allocating the shared_buffers ...

Hi John,

I dived into the issue in a panic, trying to fix something that was
completely unrelated. Turns out my service file was overwritten and lost
my stack setting. I've resolved it now with a drop-in snippet.

I like the look of the new features in postgresql but we are using
postgresql-server.x86_64 9.2.14-1.el7_1.

Thanks for the information,

Michael