[CentOS] CentOS 7.2, nouveau won't go away

Mon Feb 29 18:50:27 UTC 2016

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>   Fully updated 7.2 system. I installed the correct proprietary NVidia
>> driver (the user's expensive proprietary visualization software won't
>> run with nouveau), I've put nouveau.modeset=0
>> rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau on the kernel line for grub2, and even yum
>> removed the nouveau driver and built a new initrd... which won't boot,
>> it seems to start and than does nothing, with a black screen, and this
>> is just while booting, before it goes to graphical mode.
>>
>>   If I boot the as-built current initramfs, it loads nouveau, though one
>> of the modules listed if I do lsmod | grep nou shows nvidia, in
>> addition to nouveau.
>>
>>   So, in 7, what do I have to do to make nouveau go away? Is it as
>> simple
>> as creating an /etc/X11/xorg.conf, or...?
>
> Do you have a sound reason for not using elrepo's packaged nvidia driver?

Because I was looking late Friday afternoon, and had a vague memory that
they'd dropped support for this card (the "newer" machine is only six or
seven years old, as opposed to the 10-yr-old one tht died: this is your
tax dollars at work, US citizens... and, btw, I see among the things this
researcher's working on is modelling the Zika virus....).

I was busting butt to get him running; as it was, he couldn't work over
the weekend, and it took me until lunchtime to get him up and running for
now (I *adore* NAC on the switches....).

Now that he's running, I just looked, and I see that the legacy 304
kmod-nvidia driver should support it, so, next time he's out for a day,
I'll try installing that.

Thanks for the reminder.

         mark