[CentOS] HP OfficeJet Printing

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Jan 2 15:03:23 UTC 2016

On Sat, January 2, 2016 5:21 am, Nux! wrote:
> Why go through all this trouble when you can connect the printer to the
> network directly and be done with it?

I for one do not like clients sending print jobs to printer directly.
Suppose you have many clients. And one of them hits some PS implementation
bug in the printer, to recover from which you have to power cycle printer.
And as print job didn't finish successfully, client re-sends it to printer
after you power cycle printer, which knocks down the printer again. It
will take a lot of effort to find _that_ client. I've been trough this
once.

I usually set up cups on UNIX or Linux (with cups-lpd, I've found it more
robust than having clients using ipp). Cups talks to printers via
jetdirect. Printers are configured to not accept connections from anything
but print server. Clients connect to print server via LPD. On Windows
clients I first enable two LPD related services, thus I can make Windows
talk to cups server its native (LPD) language.

Of course, if you have one machine talking to printer, then what Nux
suggests makes perfect sense, why go into trouble.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri

> --
>
> Nux!