[CentOS] what browser plugin provides Quicktime on 7.2?

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jan 6 19:14:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 08:49:31AM +0000, Richard wrote:

> > Date: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 21:00:17 -0500
> > From: Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> >
> > Several of the plugins I used on C6 no longer seem to be available,
> > so I can't figure out what to use for Quicktime
> > (apple.com/trailers).
> >
> > Advice appreciated!
> >
> > Fred
>

> These play fine with Chrome.
>
> The problem with Firefox appears to be that the apple site is
> sending the wrong coding for FF so requiring embedded quicktime,
> rather than using FF's HTML5. See:
>
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3jtuxr/firefox_and_apple_trailers/>
>
> specifically the third comment (by caspy7). Follow caspy7's github
> link for further discussion and help on the user-agent resolution.
>
> Switching my FF user-agent to claim it was my tablet's chrome let
> these videos play fine.
>
> It appears that Apple's view is that page designers shouldn't be
> coding to require the plugin -- see bottom of:
>
>   <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205081>
>
> so it's somewhat amusing that their site is doing just that.

So, I followed that link and installed and set up the user agent
switcher, as described there, and now firefox 38.5.0 ESR  plays
apple trailers! the other posts there indicated you also needed a
bug fix from mozilla, but they're also speaking of OSX, so I don't
know (nor have a lot of interest) if it's OSX specificially, or
just FF 4x or what, but it's working fine today for me on Centos 7.2.

Also, I had no clue that apple served them up in anyform other than
quicktime. HTML-5 rocks!

thanks for the pointer to that thread!

Fred
--