[CentOS] systemd-sysctl not running on boot

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 23:16:38 UTC 2016

On 12/28/2015 01:34 PM, Ofer Hasson wrote:
> I dont see any reason this will have anything to do with the issue.
> In any case, i re-installed the package, had the symlink, moved my
> definitions to sysctl.conf. still the same....

Baffling.  I can't recreate this problem.

If you're interested in debugging further:

# cp /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-sysctl.service /etc/systemd/system/
# vi /etc/systemd/system/systemd-sysctl.service

replaced the ExecStart line with:
ExecStart=/bin/strace -f -e trace=file -o /var/tmp/sysctl.trace
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl

# reboot

/var/tmp/sysctl.trace should tell you whether or not the files are being
opened.  Beyond that, my only guess would be that some other service is
restoring the defaults, but I have no idea what might do that.