[CentOS] Centos 3.8 Server Questions, SeaMonkey Mozilla and Java

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Sat Jan 9 03:03:16 UTC 2016

On 01/09/2016 11:43 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/8/2016 2:21 PM, H wrote:
>> That was not helpful - I explained that I had to run this version.
>
> you WANT to run something completely unsupported from about 10 years
> ago which apparently requires software thats known to be insecure and
> buggy as all heck.       its 2015, not 2005, 10 years is an eternity
> in the computer industry.
>
> whatever this 10 year old application is you're trying to get running,
> it needs to be dragged into a present day state of support.   if this
> requires reimplementing the clientside applet entirely, so be it.   Do
> note, Java applets running in web browsers are an almost entirely
> deprecated technology as there's been a non-stop stream of security
> problems with the whole java applet concept and implementation.
> J2SE 1.4, a version that was new in 2002, was desupported in 2008.
Just for your information
I was working for a local ISP a few months ago, that uses microwave
radio links to connect various hilltop radio access points and thus
provide high speed internet access to rural clients in hard to reach
terrain. Some of the kit used had a management interface that ONLY ran
on an old, very specific version of java. No, the supplier was not
interested in providing updates, what they provided - worked. The
network was essentially private, thus difficult for the great unwashed
to gain access and then in some way compromise the system. BTW, the
particular version of java was only supported on WindozeXP and an old
version of IE - thus it ran in a virtualbox and was only made alive when
access to the radio system was required. welcome to the real world of
2016, there are lots of bespoke systems providing real value and
definitely not affordable  to replace in the cut throat world of a local
ISP.