[CentOS] Failed to start polkit.service: Connection timed out

Henry McLaughlin

henry at incred.com.au
Thu Jan 21 10:59:39 UTC 2016

This is related to another earlier post regarding "realm discover"

I want to set the timezone to Melbourne/Australia which failed with:

[root at sssd-testing ~]# timedatectl set-timezone Australia/Melbourne
Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Error calling
StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: Timeout was reached
(g-io-error-quark, 24)
Failed to set time zone: Connection timed out

I found the following which suggests the error is caused by the polkit
service failing to start:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/249575/systemctl-keeps-timing-out-on-service-restart

When I reinstall and try to start the polkit service in accordance with the
post above I receive the following:

[root at sssd-testing ~]# systemctl start polkit
Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Error calling
StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: Timeout was reached
(g-io-error-quark, 24)
Failed to start polkit.service: Connection timed out

When I call the service directly in accordance with the post above I
receive:

[root at sssd-testing ~]# /usr/lib/polkit-1/polkitd
Successfully changed to user polkitd
Error getting system bus: Could not connect: Permission denied
** (polkitd:922): WARNING **: Error getting system bus: Could not connect:
Permission denied
10:44:10.564: Finished loading, compiling and executing 2 rules
Entering main event loop
10:44:10.564: Lost the name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 - exiting
Shutting down
Exiting with code 0

The post below identifies a similar issue with the polkit service not
starting however I have confirmed dbus is running and the polkitd user does
exist.

[root at sssd-testing ~]# ps ax | grep dbus
  221 ?        Ss     0:00 /bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd:
--nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
  929 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto dbus

[root at sssd-testing ~]# getent passwd polkitd
polkitd:x:997:995:User for polkitd:/:/sbin/nologin