[CentOS] Google Chrome and CentOS 6?

Sorin Srbu

Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Mon Jan 25 07:18:06 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Just recently I started getting the dreaded message about my CentOS 6.7
x64-installation wasn't going to be supported anymore by Google Chrome.

"This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because this
Linux system will no longer be supported."

Doing some google searches I found this;
http://superuser.com/questions/1011832/this-computer-will-soon-stop-receiving-google-chrome-updates-because-this-linux

Which in itself wasn't too uplifting...
Following the suggestion about installing Chromium instead worked, but it
seems to be stuck at an ancient version of the browser.

Recompiling the available Chromium source is of course an option, but not for
me.
Not unless there are step-by-step guides doing it.

There was a rather long and somewhat heated discussion regarding Chrome on
CentOS a while ago.
Was there any real conclusion about Google Chrome on CentOS and how to get
around this problem?
Are the views on this matter still infected?

I'm not looking forward to go back to the sluggish Firefox. 8-/

--
BW,
	Sorin
# Sorin Srbu, Sysadmin
# Uppsala University
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry
# Div of Org Pharm Chem
# Box 574
# SE-75123 Uppsala
# Sweden#
# Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482
# Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
# Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# This message was not sent from an iProduct!
#
# Please consider the environment before printing this email.
# Join the campaign at http://thinkBeforePrinting.org
#
# MotD follows:
# "You guys got something against spam?" -de Vriess, in Alien^4