[CentOS] Just need to vent

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Mon Jan 25 17:33:15 UTC 2016

On Jan 23, 2016, at 4:32 PM, Yamaban <foerster at lisas.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 00:20, Alice Wonder wrote:
>
>> For example, when selecting a font for the gedit text editor - there is no way to ask it to only show monospace fonts.
>
> IMHO the gnome UI devs played to much with MacOS X and Tablets.

I’d say they played too *little* with OS X.  That, or they tried to clone it without grokking it first.

The standard Mac OS X font picker *does* have a Fixed Width option.

The only GUI text editors on my Mac OS X box that don’t use this mechanism to select fonts are cross-platform apps that make you edit a JSON file to change fonts.  (Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code.)

And ironically, editing a config file to change fonts is more Unixy than Mac OS X.

> For me switching to XFCE as DE helped enormously in getting work
> done, not getting angry at the UI all the time was a nice plus.

CentOS has a GUI?  Since when?

My CentOS GUI is called SecureCRT. :)