[CentOS] NTP Service Running on Local Host does not Sync System Time

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jan 27 08:36:24 UTC 2016

On 1/27/2016 12:25 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
> I'm tempted to stick an "ntpdate -u ..." in the crontab to force
> time-synch, but I don't see why that's needed if ntpd service should
> already be fulfilling that purpose.

ntpd won't make drastic changes in the time, if its too far off. its
designed to stabilize the clock by making small changes in speeding it
up or slowing it down, and not 'staircase' setting it absolutely.

IMHO, ntpdate -u should be run before starting ntpd so the clock is
close to spot on up front, I have sometimes added this to the
/etc/init.d/ntp scripts.   with systemd, this woudl be trickier to
implement, maybe a seperate 'service' thats runs the ntpddate -u and
exits, which the ntpd service depends on being run first?  I dunno, I
haven't really spent the time to grok systemd thoroughly yet.